Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Math Student


I've never been good at math.  Mostly caused by a lack of effort on my part.  I never had a teacher in school that could reach me on the importance of math in my life.  I never expected to be an engineer so I thought that mathematics/liberal arts math was enough for me.  I was always content to do the minimum in math since I was in the tenth grade in Ms. Demonbrun's (crazy name, right?) Algebra class.  She would belittle students if they made wrong answers or suggested the wrong way to answer a problem in class.  This type of "teaching" made me shut down and all I would do in her class was read.  Eventually, it got to the point where she wouldn't even pass the work to me because she knew that I wasn't going to do it.  Nothing changed in college.  I never needed to take a high math for my major so I didn't.  Recently I have felt like I let an opportunity to understand an important part of the world had slipped by me.  So I purchased the book pictured and have been trying to go through a chapter everyday. The work has not been easy for me and I have had to ask for help from my wife, who incidentally went up to Calculus.  There is a big test at the end of the book and I think that I will be able to slay that dragon in the next week.  I'll probably have to go through the book twice before I can do all of the problems in the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment