Monday, May 25, 2009

Pool Slasher.

This photo was taken in the aftermath of Hurricane Ivan in Pensacola, FL.  Anyone from northern Florida knows BC and this pool was at his apartment complex.  I don't know how he convinced the building manager to let us skate here but he did.  I was at work and Brian called me and asked me if I wanted to go skate a pool.  Yes, is the only possible answer to that question.  I was ready right then.  I could have walked out of work right then but Brian said the session wasn't on until BC got home.  The rest on my day at work was spend wondering if I would be able to carve the light or if this was going to be a bank to wall pool or if it was going to be skateable at all.  I drove straight from work to Cale's house to pick him up and then straight to BC's.  I was amazed that the guys were already skating and it was totally cool with everyone in the complex.  The only pools I had skated prior to this one were the type where you took one run a piece and ran like hell because the neighbor had already called the cops.  None of us in that group were heavy pool shredders but everybody got over the light and I caught some truck on the top of the tile.  This pool was available to skate from three p.m. to sunset for about two weeks and I was there everyday and excited as hell.  All good things come to an end, especially skate spots in NW Florida.  In hindsight I wish I would have told more people about the pool and had bigger sessions.  I was afraid that the more people we had out there the sooner the people who lived in the building would shut it down.  Skating a pool is loud and everybody was dealing with the stress of post-hurricane life.  Some people were getting evicted due to damage to the building and most did not have electricity.  So the fact that they let us have this as long as they did is even more amazing.  A nuisance that would not have been put up with in normal life is not even paid attention when dealing with such a large problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment