Monday, May 25, 2009

Skatepark Employee

Deep South Skatepark opened in October of 1999 in Pensacola, FL and I spent pretty much everyday there until it closed in December of 2001.  I actually got a job at the park as an accident.  The owner, Paul, told me that the park was going to start being closed on Mondays because there weren't enough people coming to justify having someone working an entire shift.  So I told Paul that if he was going to close the park that he had to give me a key.  I started working there the next week.  Deep South was about an hour drive from my house and getting out there everyday was a chore.  When I started working out there I was a senior in high school and I had to start driving to Pensacola as soon as I got out of school.  There were plenty of days that I was completely exhausted driving down Hwy 98.  Honestly, after driving so much for so long when the park finally closed I missed that time when I could just be alone with my thoughts.  I know that it doesn't look like much from the picture but Deep South was a great park with a dedicated bunch of locals that kept things in line.  I am really grateful to Paul and Rhonda for opening the park.  I was lucky to be a part of it and lucky to be a part of the best group of employee's Paul N. Brian J. Cale L. and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment